Thursday, May 17, 2018

Inbound and Down #40: Too Many Verlanders

I've had quite a few great contributors to the Serial Numbered Insanity projects; one of those would be Dennis from the Too Many Grandersons/Verlanders blog. 

Dennis surprised me by sending an unexpected bubble mailer full of serial #'d cards for the hockey project.  I actually received this last week, but am finally getting around to showing off the contents for everyone. 


I decided to start with the horizontal cards, most of them from the 2002/03 Pacific Atomic set.  What's good about these cards is that the serial numbers are easy to see; some other Pacific releases have very tiny printing (Crown Royale) and getting the magnifying glass out to see them is a bit of a pain. 


I'll be damned if I can remember UD releasing the Play Makers set back in 2001-02, but it appears that this 145 card set was serial #'d to 1250 and the final 45 cards of the set were all rookie cards.  Even if the names aren't all well known, they all will hold a place in the set.


I always loved the SP Authentic sets, even if I couldn't afford to bust any packs.  I'm excited about adding a Hall of Famer such as Teemu Selanne to the set.  Dennis sent me quite a few goalies in this package, some for the goalie mask set, but the bottom 3 cards on this scan are going right in the SNI binders.  Love the Bryzgalov mask with the tiger art, it looks fantastic!


What surprised me the most in the envelope were two serial numbered Stadium Club cards (Erik Cole and Pavol Demitra on the bottom row).  I had no idea that serial numbered cards were ever a part of any Stadium Club set.  A little research and I learned that they were "proofs" and limited to just 250 copies of each card.  Works for me!

While writing this post I noticed that the majority of the cards are from the 2000-2003 time frame.  I know that there were a lot of sets that had serial #'d cards back then (thank you Pacific), but it makes me wonder who was hoarding these cards for the better part of 15 years! 

I also had to look and see how far the SNI hockey set has come along; it's just over 25% complete as there were 310 cards on the spreadsheet before writing this post.  It really doesn't seem like that many have been scanned and posted, but the numbers don't lie.

Dennis, thank you for the cards, they are appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment