Saturday, February 10, 2018

50 more off the want list--84 Topps

The biggest stack of cards that came my way in the box from Adam was of 1984 Topps.  I'm guessing right now that there's about 400 cards to go through from '84 alone.  What's been great so far is seeing the names of the players that I watched quite a bit while growing up. 

Again, I'm not going to show all 50, but I found a few cards that were interesting to me...


Season highlight cards, these are great in my opinion.  3 pitchers pitching no hitters, 3 superstars retiring.  Great ideas for a card.  These are the types of highlights that cost you $10 now so that you can have them immediately.   No thanks.

I wondered why there was nothing noted on the front of the Steve Carlton card as to what the highlight was, until I read the back.   Carlton had won his 300th game in '83 as well as becoming the all time strike out leader.   That's probably a lot to put on the front of a card.


Speaking of left handed pitchers, I noticed among the first 50 cards that there were a few lefties in there.  The only one that I don't remember so much is Burgmeier; the '84 season for Tom would be his last in a 17 year career in which he would make 743 out of his 745 appearances as a reliever.  In '83, Tom would also have 13 decisions, a lot for appearing in just 49 games.


Manager cards.  Still cool.


6,329 hits in just two cards.  It's interesting to look at Molitor's history over 21 seasons.  He missed a lot of games (played just 13 times in 1984), and still wound up with 3319 hits.  Imagine if he were healthier and had played another 300 games with his talent.  Probably over 3600 hits which would put him top 5 all time.  Paul currently stands 10th with only Ichiro and Adrian Beltre active within 300 hits of passing him. 


The ageless wonder, Julio Franco.  He played another 23 seasons after this card came out.  I'm not sure, but stealing a base at age 48 might make him the oldest player ever to steal a bag.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong please...


We like getting stars on as many cards as possible, right?  What's wrong with these team leader cards?  Kershaw/Bellinger--Keuchel/Altuve--Happ/Donaldson, you get the idea.  Some great combos even in today's MLB could have extra cards such as this.

And that's no bull....


Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. Man, Luzinski looks scary. I guess he wasn't so much by 1984, his last year.

    ReplyDelete