Saturday, December 23, 2017

short print cinema

A big part of some of my want lists right now are short prints.   The dreaded high number cards that companies enjoy making in order to give set collectors nightmares. My recent COMC order knocked a few cards off of the Short Print hit list.

Sadly, I'm still working on O-Pee-Chee sets from 4 and 5 years ago.  The high numbers in those sets number 100 each, and thus it's been a slow go finding cheap enough cards to fill the bill.


O-Pee-Chee mixes legend cards in with the rookies in order to fill up the 100 cards #'d 501-600.  The first five cards from this scan are from the 2012-13 set.  Needless to say, they stretched the term rookie a little bit in order to fit Joe Sakic into that portion of the set, since it had been a quarter of a century since Sakic had been a rookie.  I do like the old time photo of Joe in his number 88 jersey which he only wore during his first season before switching to #19.  Sami Vatanen is the only 2013-14 card that I added on this order; this set is much further away from completion with 130 cards to go, 54 of those being SPs.


The 2017 Heritage set also is rife with SPs (as you well know).  I decided to make a more concerted effort to get this set done a little more quickly than the 2011 set which took me 5 years to finish.  My hunt was for SPs that cost less than a buck, and these 6 fit the bill.  There are some high prices on the high numbered cards, with the Kris Bryant card being the highest that I've seen on COMC; the cheapest Bryant card is currently $13.75, or about $13 more than I really want to pay.

I still have 80 of the SPs to go, so it may be a year or two before I make a real push to finish the set. 

Frugality always wins out...

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment:

  1. The rash of SPing base cards is why I've finally moved away from trying to complete sets and instead focus on my project of trying to get a card of everyone to ever get one in the NBA, NASCAR and now as of this year the NHL. Not that I won't complete sets if I can, but it's too frustrating these days to be as enjoyable as it once was.

    ReplyDelete