Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Christmas Cards

I love my wife.  I had to start this post with that sentence, because she has supported my insane love for collecting cards the entire time that we've been together.

She's shown appreciation for the older stuff that I've brought into the house (especially the 64's and 59's) and never complains when I hit the card aisle at Target or Wal-Mart when we go together.

But she's never ventured into buying cards for me at Christmas time (or any other time of the year).  She's admitted being nervous about getting the wrong thing for me, which is understandable.  She knows I'm picky at times.  But this year she took the plunge.  

My wife actually hit my trash can to check out the wrappers of packs of Upper Deck hockey to make sure she was buying something I wanted. 

In my stocking, there were two fat packs of this year's UD waiting.  She had better luck picking than I have had so far...


I've bought 3 fat packs, a blaster and a couple of single packs, but hadn't hit an Auston Matthews.   Bang, first pack there he is!!  The first pack also contained a David Pastrnak Shining Stars insert, which is available if any Bruins fans need it.


I pulled a couple of Young Guns in my blaster, but nothing in the other packs.   Sure enough, there is Nathan Walker's card in pack #2.  William Nylander has also been nowhere to be found until now; I love that photo from the Winter Classic warm up.

This last card I'm going to show is already a double, but is perfect for the goalie mask frankenset.


What a great photo!  I wish there were more cards like this for the set. 

I may have to ask her to pick packs for me in the future.  Her luck is better than mine...

Thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. Nice hit on the Young Gun; the all-time leader in career NHL points for an Australian born player!

    The Matthews card is nice as well; cool to see him featured on the card in the Pats sweater.

    But that Nylander card is awesome! Love the photos from the special occasion games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If she got a blaster you probably would've pulled a Hischier lol :P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a lucky man. I've only found two woman who have legitimately supported (not just tolerated) my collecting. One of them is my mom. The other is an ex-girlfriend who ended up being one of my best friends. I'm not sure if I'll ever get married, but if I do... I hope she'll buy me packs for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wife is a keeper! Glad she takes interest in your hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, my partner goes to the clothes section and I go to the cards. We have an understanding.

    In my one blaster and one tin of 17/18 UD, I've pulled a Matthews in each one.

    ReplyDelete