Monday, November 20, 2017

It felt like stealing

I had the itch.  I went to the monthly show the weekend before last, and did fairly well.  I haven't even shown those cards on the blog yet. 

I felt so good that I decided to hit the monthly show in West Palm Beach.  I hadn't been to this show in several months, largely because it's a Sunday only show and it's about a 45 minute drive up the Florida Turnpike.  The show is also a bit smaller as far as tables go. Sundays are usually the day that the wife and I take it easy, do some light chores around the house and try to relax as much as possible.

I did one lap of the show, then settled down at a table with a few dime boxes and dollar boxes.


3 Hall of Fame pitchers from the dollar boxes.  Throw in a well loved '68 Killebrew, a 90 Leaf Griffey (which I already had), and this card..

No matter how I scanned this, I couldn't get it straight
Then I moved on to the dime boxes.  I did all right there as well....


The first couple of boxes I hit upon some early 80's cards, with the stars shown above.  I hit 13 cards from '80 Topps, 11 cards from '82 Topps, the Bench '83T and the Henderson '84T.  I moved on to the last box, and it was full of two other sets that I'm working on, 89 Upper Deck and 90 Leaf.

I hit 70 cards from those 2 sets, and decided that I'd had enough.

All totaled, I pulled a little over 100 cards from the dime boxes, and a half dozen dollar cards.  Handed them to the dealer, fully expecting to pull out a 20 dollar bill to be changed.

He looked through the cards for a few seconds, looked back at me and said  "5 dollars?"

It was the easiest 5 bucks I pulled out of my wallet in ages.  It really did feel like stealing.  I also knew I wasn't going to beat that deal anywhere else in the show, so I left.

I may never spend only $5 at a show ever again.   Guess I'll be heading back there again in December.

thanks for reading, Robert


9 comments:

  1. Wow... that early 80's Topps scan is worth the 5 bucks alone. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds! I've had that "stealing" feeling a few times in the past -- not so much at card shows, but definitely at my local flea market. I'd just about faint if a guy quoted me five bucks on a lot like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim Kaat is not in the Hall of Fame. Unless you have inside intel about the Modern Era committee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected. He should be in my opinion, he's been a part of the game both on and off the field since the 60's and still does quite well on telecasts even as he approaches his 80th birthday.

      Thanks for the comment!!

      Delete
  4. My old dealer used to do that all the time. He retired a few years back. I miss visiting him. The 81 Topps Ryan is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That 82T Rickey is one of my favorite cards from the 80's... but don't think I've ever found one for a dime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will say I got very lucky at the show on the weekend...

      Delete
  6. And I thought I was the guy who got the best card show bargains! That's quite a haul for $5 indeed! I especially like the '59 Fox/Luis A card. It's a beaut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even take a good look at it till I got home, then saw the edges and told myself that I hadn't bought a card with that kind of character in quite a while...

      Delete