Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Try A Pack #9: 2017-18 OPC Hockey

To be honest, I don't remember buying any O-Pee-Chee for the 2016-17 season.  I decided to rectify that this year by grabbing the first packs I saw on the weekend during my Target run.

I wasn't disappointed at all.


The non short printed portion of the set is the usual 500 cards.  I like the design this year, it doesn't take too much away from the photo in my opinion.  The packs I bought were the rack pack 32 card variety, so plenty of base in each.


Cards 501-550 are the rookies, while cards 561-590 are team checklists, which I was very happy to see when I pulled them.


The other pack I bought contained the exact opposite of what I showed above, 2 rookies and one team checklist. 

Cards 551-560 are Season Highlight cards while #'s 591-600 are league leaders.   Good excuses to get more star players in the set (like Auston Matthews).


An old favorite, the retro parallels are back as well.  I only pulled one out of the two packs, but from what I'm reading the hobby boxes are netting about 32 of these. 


I missed the playing cards last year, so I'm looking forward to seeing these this year.  I've always loved players on the playing card idea, and I'd like to try and build this year's set.  There are 3 Maple Leafs in the playing card set; their young stars Matthews, Nylander and Marner.  I have a feeling this might be an expensive proposition.

I don't recall ever being disappointed by O-Pee-Chee; each year that I've bought a pack I've enjoyed the rip.  I've got a couple of modern OPC want lists on the blog now, and I have a feeling that I'm going to try and build more OPC sets before too long. 

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty fun set. Love the Checklist photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped at five stores before I finally found any packs in stores. It was only the base eight-card packs. I haven't seen any hanger packs or blasters at all.

    ReplyDelete