Saturday, September 13, 2014

What's next? Semi-final #2: (7) 1963 Topps vs (3) 1974 Topps


How they got this far:

1963 defeated 1972 and 1960 Topps, gaining 12 votes in both rounds.
1974 defeated 1961 with 16 votes, and then 1969 with 15 votes.

To sum up the first two rounds:

I'm not surprised to see that '63 made it this far.  It is a colorful set and a favorite of mine.  '63 had a tougher road to get to the semi-finals, defeating two very good releases in both '72 & '60.  If it wins the tournament I believe that I would enjoy putting it together, as it will make a nice contrast to the much more plain '64 set that I am coming closer to completing. 

If there is one set that I didn't think would make it this far, it certainly would have to be the '74 set.  I would have to say that the luck of the draw helped '74 in the tourney, as '61 and '69 Topps aren't particular favorites of a lot of collectors (although the back of the '69 Topps cards are arguably my favorite of the '60s sets...).  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying '74 is a bad set, in my opinion it just doesn't compare to a lot of the '60s sets that were eliminated earlier. 

What I think will happen in this round: 


I am predicting that the final will have a pair of sets that have circles on the front, as I believe that '63 will move on to the final, and end the surprising run of '74 Topps. 


Is everyone going to prove me wrong two weeks in a row?  Will '74 Topps pull off another win and advance to the finals?


You tell me.   Voting starts.....................


NOW!!


thanks for reading, Robert

14 comments:

  1. I would have to turn in my "1974 Topps Fan Club" decoder ring if I didn't vote for 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be a tough one. I've come to really appreciate the look of 63, especially as a precursor to 83 and 84, two of my favorite sets as a kid. But I've been fascinated with 74 since I saw it in a baseball card magazine as a kid. I wanna vote for both.

    1974.

    ReplyDelete
  3. '74 is the first set I ever saw. I'm required to vote for it. But I'm sure it won't win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always thought that 1963 was a tad overrated just because of its colorful nature. 1974 has a couple of faults as well with the landscape cards that don't belong in the set and the lack of rookie cup cards for the first time in 15 years. It's close but I am going to vote for 1974, just because I am also putting that set together (very slowly) and we might be able to help each other out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1974 for me.. if i were to ever try and build an older set, that should be it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tough call for me, but I'm going 1963 here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a close one for me, but I have to stick with '63.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's close, but I have to vote for 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I will have to go with the 63 set.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, 74 got off to a surprising start here, but yeah, I gotta pile on with a 63 vote.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just started reading $30 and I am apparently late to the party.

    But I'll vote 1963.

    ReplyDelete