Friday, March 7, 2014

Week in review: Close on a couple of fronts

I decided to take today off so I could enjoy a 3 day weekend.  With the weather finally starting to turn the corner a little bit, it was nice to get out of the house for an hour or two with the mrs., even if it meant having to run a couple of errands.

Those errands were in the early afternoon, which meant I had the morning to continue work on the Blue Jays piles on my desk.

Let me correct that.   Pile.

Yes, I've finally cut a swath through the massive piles of cards, and am down to roughly 100 cards to go before they are either removed from the want list, or found to be one of the many duplicates that I have.   Even with 24 days to go before my self imposed deadline, the goal of having these cards cataloged and the want list up to date is very close at hand.

Speaking of close, I received the 2nd part of my Sportlots order today, and I'm now 12 cards closer to completing the 2008-09 OPC set.


One of my favorite players to ever wear the #27, Frank Mahovlich, is in the upper right corner.  Great card except that he's wearing the dreaded CH instead of the blue and white.  Shack and Bower on the bottom row more than make up for that.   I wish that there were more coaches cards in products like OPC; instead of spitting out the same retired players every year, put all 30 coaches into a set.  For me it would be a nice change.


Even with OPC, the rookie lottery is in play.  You just never know what you're going to get with the RC's.  Joey Mormina played 1 game in the NHL.   Erik Ersberg played 3 years in the NHL, and now plays in the KHL.  Mattias Ritola played 43 games over parts of 4 seasons, and is now back in his native Sweden.  Jack Hillen has had an OK career so far, playing in 257 games with 4 clubs.  Brassard and Abdelkader are both NHL regulars, but neither are top 6 forwards. 

I guess that's why I got these SPs on the cheap....

Money spent this week: $15.36

That means that I have a little extra to spend on the show this weekend.  Now if I can only figure out what my plan of attack is for tomorrow, I'll be all set.

Thanks for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment