Saturday, March 29, 2014

So you're saying there's a chance

Well, I woke up this morning feeling pretty good and will make the trek to Ohio for the big card show.  Part of the reason I would like to go now is the envelope that blog reader Mark Hoyle sent me.  It arrived yesterday, jammed full of '73 Topps greatness:







Instead of trying to write something witty or clever, I'll just let you bask in the glow of 44 '73 Topps cards.  It's the right thing to do.

This haul drops my want list to a meager 66 cards, including the Schmidt/Cey RC.   So there may be a chance that I finish this set in Ohio today. 

I've been very lucky with this set so far, because of a large amount of generous envelopes/boxes like this that have come my way. 

Mark, thank you very much for these cards, they are fantastic and very much appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

7 comments:

  1. Good luck on your quest! Hopefully we'll see a "Joy of a Completed Set" post in the not-so-distant future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the show. I'm down to about 120 cards for the 71 set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the infamous card of Bill Hands pitching for the Texas Rangers at Wrigley Field pre-interleague play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if your subject line was a reference, but just in case it was, and in case it was the reference that I immediately thought of, then...

    So you're saying there's a chance...?
    If no two-legged character actors come in to audition during the next two months, then there is a very good chance that you would be the very person which we would, at that point, be contacting, telephonically...

    (And if I'm completely wrong about this, I thought you were quoting "A Leg Too Few" from Beyond The Fringe... in this particular case featuring Dudley Moore and Peter Cook).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that intelligent when it comes to movies. In fact, my movie tastes are to the 2 star shmaltz fests that are all over the place.

      "So you're saying there's a chance" is actually (for me anyhow) from Dumb and Dumber, the hotel room scene with Jim Carrey and Lauren Holly when she tells him that his chances with her are 1 in a million.

      Delete
    2. I guess references are often in the mind of the beholder.

      Just in case you or any of your readers are interested. here's a clip:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnkY1tBvMU&feature=kp

      "Beyond The Fringe" was a stage show from the early 1960's that was very influential on British humor to follow, including Monty Python.

      Delete
  5. Almost there!! Good luck completing it!

    ReplyDelete