Monday, January 20, 2014

I'm retail free in 2014

So far, so good.  We're 20 days into 2014, and I've yet to buckle to temptation (better known as "the itch") and make a card related purchase at one of the big box stores.   It also helps that I've only made one trip to the big blue store so far in January.

2 out of the 3 weeks so far this year I've failed to make a card related purchase, so I'm actually building up a nice little reserve; hopefully I'll figure out what to do with that extra cash without making some kind of boneheaded purchase.

Meanwhile, I'm still doing my diligence, working on getting the Blue Jays want list up to date.  In addition, the massive pile of Blue Jay cards on my desk is starting to shrink a bit.  I managed to add a dozen or so cards to the spreadsheet last night, including a couple of trios.

First off, 3 cards that I was able to mark off the behemoth that is the 2008 UD Documentary set.


I've received 27 cards out of the 162 card monster that is the 2008 Blue Jays season.   If there's anyone out there that was "crazy" enough to go after this entire set, I tip my cap to you.  I can only imagine what the final product is going to look like.

One set that I don't see get a lot of love on the blogs is 2003 Topps...


I like the blue borders, and I think it's about time that Topps try using a colored border again on one of their base sets.  That might be a little tough now that I think about it, what with red/blue/pink/black/gold/you name the color parallels being the norm in today's sets. 

Maybe we can bring back the yellow that '91 Fleer used??  That might be the only color left.

Until Series 1 is released, it's probably going to be Jays related posts for the foreseeable future.  With a few trades due in over the next couple of weeks, there should be some more blue bird related cardboard to talk about.

thanks for reading, Robert

5 comments:

  1. I hunted down a grand total of one card from that Documentary set - since it commemorated my favourite in person moment from that season. That's game #141 (4256), which had Gregg Zaun's walk-off against Tampa. For some reason, it had the same photo on the front as your #144.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Topps could totally pull of a non-white border again. The parallels would still be there. It's not like they dye the white borders or something. I like your suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree.. Topps needs to mix it up a little... the white borders are getting tiresome.. they used to do a variety of things, but with all these ridiculous parallels floating around, the white has been the base... hopefully you'll get your Jays from me soon enough... and im trying to not buy cards at the retail outlets either.. im sticking to eBay or card shops for the foreseeable future..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I'd like Topps to either revert to black or colored borders for at least one year (parallels be damned) or maybe go back to real cardboard cardstock -- something they should have done with the 60th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you got Game 82 from Documentary? If not, I've got one that I'll send your way.

    ReplyDelete