Saturday, November 23, 2013

The dirty dozen

I am rusty.  It's been over a week since I've had to write a "normal" post, without the use of any serial numbered parallel cards.

In this case, I get to use another type of post, extolling the virtues of blogger generosity.  I received an unexpected but very welcome package from Max at the Starting Nine blog mid week, and as usual he hits my basic collecting needs right on. 

No set needs in this envelope, which is fine by me.  1/4 of the envelope's 12 cards satisfied my hockey wants.


I have never bought one pack of the Goodwin Champions line of cards from UD, but own a hodgepodge assortment thanks to the generosity of the blogosphere.  The Joe Sakic card on the left is the first Goodwin Champion card for that particular PC. 

The Peter Zezel card in the middle brought back a lot of memories, especially of the early 90's Leafs teams and especially the run in the 92-93 playoffs.  Sadly, Zezel died back in 2009 at the very young age of 44.

Alexander Steen is showing the point per game potential that a lot of people thought he had when the Leafs drafted him in the 1st round in 2002.  His 17 goals so far this year is 2nd only to Ovechkin's 19. 

Baseball cards are what's left in the package, and I bet Max planned it this way, because there's 9 of them. 

Let's start with the "old"


Not the greatest scan ever, but five members of the Jays from their hey days in the late 80's and early 90's.  The Robbie Alomar card is actually from a recent release, it's a Panini Hometown Heroes insert from this past year.  I decided to lump it in with the older cards, well just because Robbie was part of that generation.


I like the Chrome cards more this year for some reason.  I know that the technology is pretty much the same this year as it has been in the past, but the cards seem to "pop" more for me this year than past years.  I don't know, maybe it's my brain playing tricks on me.  I like the Spring Fever insert of Jose Bautista as well, the blue background really complements the blue that the Jays wear.  I don't recall having seen a Swing for the Fences insert in the past on the blogs, but I'm so far behind on my reading that I could have easily missed it.  The card is pretty cool, and it has kind of an acetate feel to it.

The incoming cards only reminded me that I have to get in the swing of updating the Blue Jays collection, and try to get the master list back on the blog sometime soon. 

Max, thank you for the envelope, it is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: