Sunday, October 6, 2013

2 reasons why the monthly card show was a big success

I walked into the monthly card show yesterday with my want lists ready (as usual), and no real plan of attack (as usual).

I hit the first table, and after about 20-25 minutes of digging through the quarter, half-dollar and dollar boxes, I came out with only 2 cards.  After about 5 minutes of waiting for the dealer to finish with other customers (which he never did), I put the cards away and moved on to another table.

Before I forget, just as a side note, one of the cards was serial number 340.  If that becomes one of the last cards I need, I can kick myself for putting it back.  

Moving on to the next table, I came across a dealer who I've dealt with before, who usually has some decent vintage cards at reasonable prices.  He has the standard boxes of cards ranging in years from the late 50's to the late 70's, organized by year.

But for some reason, and I still don't know why, I went and looked at his display cases.   I never do this, because display cases usually house cards that are well out of my price range.

Have you ever seen a card in a display case that you really wanted?  You just look at it, then look at the price, and then stand there for a minute or two and think to yourself "do I really want to do this??"  I asked the dealer to please (yes, politeness still works...) let me have a closer look at the card.

He handed me the card, and I was hooked.

1964 Topps # 125
In my hands was one of the two most expensive cards from the '64 Topps set.  You can see a crease or 3 just to the left of Pete's hat.  The corners are soft.  The back is clean, and the cartoon is slightly visible but doesn't appear to have been rubbed.

I looked at the price tag.   $38.  One of the '64 Topps "big two" is now in my possession. 

But wait, there's more!  (thinking about those TV ads selling the sham-wow..lol)

After grabbing a couple of cheap '64 high numbers to go along with the Rose, the dealer asked me what other sets I was building.  I told him that I was close to completing the '75 set, and he asked me what cards I needed.  "I only need 11 more" I told him.  Then I rattled off the biggest name that I needed. 

He looked through a stack, and handed me this...

'75 Topps # 500
For $16 more, I had the last major piece of the '75 puzzle that I needed. 

I left that table $60 lighter, but with two of the biggest pieces that I required to complete two of my favorite sets.  After a little more conversation between the dealer and myself, he handed me the '75 Carl Yastrzemski card from his stack and told me I could have it.  "I like to see people finish sets" he said. 

I still need 7 more to go for the '75 set, but that's OK.

I can see it on the horizon now....

Thanks for reading, Robert

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you walked out of the show pretty happy.
    One of my favorite TV characters of all-time was notorious for saying, "I love it when a plan comes together." I know you said you didn't have a plan... but MAYBE that should be your plan from now on! It worked pretty well, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! Sounds like a pretty swell dealer to me. Great gets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice purchases. I can't stand poor customer service. I waited for a dealer for a solid two minutes... then walked away from a guy's table at the card show last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pickups!!! and sounds like a great dealer, if there were more like that....collecting would be even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific find on the '64 Rose! I've always wanted to own that card. That's awesome that the dealer gave you that '75 Yaz on the house. A nice gesture on his part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really can't put into words how jealous I am! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pickups! Sounds like the kind of dealer everyone would like to deal with at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite the score on that Rose. I'd love one of those in my collection as well.

    ReplyDelete