Thursday, December 13, 2012

My top 25 sets #13: 1990-91 Upper Deck Hockey


Set 1990-91 Upper Deck Hockey
Number of cards in set: 400 (low series) 150 (high series)
Affordability: 9.5
Key RCs:  Jaromir Jagr, Mats Sundin (low), Pavel Bure, Sergei Fedorov (High)
Is the set built?:   Many times over.

What I like about this set:  This is the set that introduced me back into collecting in late 1990. Even though this set is the epitome of the overproduction era (I once owned 15 full sets of these cards..), it is still a classic.  The design is clean, the back has up to 5 years of stats with a 2nd full photo.  Speaking of photos, some of the photos in this set (see Bob Probert card here to get an idea of what I mean) feature the best hockey photography ever.

Late to the party?  No problem, shouldn't cost you but a couple of week's budgets (for my blog anyhow) to complete this set.

What I don't like about this set:  The true 'purist' would love to see a complete set of stats for each player on the back, but with that leaves no photo.  In other words, there's not a whole lot wrong with this set, outside of letting the presses roll.

For me, 90-91 UD hockey is what got me back into collecting over 20 years ago.  I feasted on this set heartily, and will have a soft spot for it for many years to come.  While it may not remain on the top 25 over the coming years, it will always be a reminder of a crazy time in the sports card world.

Thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. Love Love Love this set. No bad memories with this one or regrets. I am pretty sure my first set of this cost me nearly 140 bucks in packs....

    Interesting choice with Brad Shaw....why him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite sets of all-time also. I remember busting 5 or 6 boxes of this and the nightmare collation of each box. Took me forever to complete one set, but it's one set I'll never get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still consider this one of the best sets UD ever made. If they'd just lived up to this standard going forward....

    ReplyDelete