Monday, October 1, 2012

Blue Jay Monday: The Dime Box Dozen

For the 2nd time in as many weeks, I've been fortunate enough to be able to post about Blue Jays cards that I've received in a trade.  This time, I thought I would feature a dozen of the cards that Nick from the Dime Box blog sent my way.

The Old Judge Rich Butler card on the left is something that I've never seen before.  I believe it is from the Signature Rookies set in 1995 (if you know more about this, please let me know).  The Clemens on the right is a Pinnacle lasting memories card, which is another set that I've never seen or heard of until now.  The card is die cut on the right hand side in a wavy kind of pattern. 




It's funny how the past is ingrained into your memory.  Each time I see the words "Triple Play" regarding a baseball card, I automatically want to type "Donruss" right before.  I hope and pray that Ricky doesn't fall victim to Steve Blass syndrome, because when he's on there aren't many pitchers better than he is.



Boy, I collected a lot of collector's choice back in the day.  From reading the back of Darren Hall's card, it appears that he was the Jays closer for a portion of the '94 campaign.  I'll be damned if I can remember him.  I've written several times about Pat Borders on the blog; one of my favorite posts (and cards) can be found here.




The two '87 Leaf cards remind me to tell you all that I've actually started to compile a Blue Jays want list.  I believe that I got as far as 1989 on Sunday, and let me just say to those bloggers who have compiled decades long want lists, I have the greatest amount of respect for you.  I believe the first 12 years took me about 3 hours to compile, and I can only wonder what the next 23 years is going to require.  If you're interested in taking a look at what I need (so far), just click here.






Over the years, I will say that I enjoyed owning a lot of Diamond Kings cards.  The Carter on the left, well it's not bad, but it strikes me as ...I don't even know how to describe it. 

The one uniform that the Jays wear that I like is the red Canada Day uniforms.  I know in the past, instead of the players name the jersey would just say "Canada", which I always thought was pretty cool.



Finally, just 2 of the 5,000,000 A&G cards that you've seen on blogs this year.  The Ricky Ro on the left is an A&G back mini, while the Colby Rasmus on the right, well he just doesn't look pleased to be there.  I do want to say that I am glad that the Jays brought back the old style of lettering and the old logo.  I have always preferred the old rather than the new (it's probably just the kid in me).


Nick, I just want to say thank you again for the great Jays package...those Dime Box cards were definitely a welcome sight!

thanks for reading, Robert

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked them, I'm already on the hunt for more dime box Jays for future trades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Darren Hall. He took over as closer when Duane Ward got injured either in spring training or early in the season. The injury ended Ward's career. I'm with you on Romero. I'm hoping that he can get his head together over the off-season and come back as the pitcher he was last year. Though he has been pitching better lately. Rasmus, well I think that he's been somewhat of a disappointment this year. Other than a 6 week stretch in the middle of the season I expected more from him. He has the potential and talent but again I think he has to get his head together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stieb!

    And ugh. Colby Rasmus. Cannot take a good picture of that guy.

    ReplyDelete