Sunday, September 9, 2012

Other things that I collect: Pucks

Imagine that, a Canadian that collects pucks.   Well I'll be....

Honestly, I don't have a great collection of pucks, for the simple fact that storage/display can be a little bit difficult in a house that's small.  However, there are some that I do have that I find quite interesting.  Such as:


The Youngstown Steelhounds were a CHL franchise from 2005-2008 that played their home games at the Covelli Center in Y-town.  Their games were a fun and cheaper alternative to NHL games, and closer to where I live than Pittsburgh.  The team was coached their last 2 seasons by former NHL tough guy Kevin Kaminski.  Kaminski brought some success to the Steel Valley, as the team during his 2 seasons behind the bench had winning percentages of .609 and .648.  Sadly, the team folded after the 07-08 season (the CHL formally states that they were kicked out) because of a dispute with the league over travel expenses.

Not all pucks are black by the way...


The Panthers had these up for grabs on March 17th, 2011 for their game against the Maple Leafs.  I actually wasn't the first to spot these pucks, my wife actually saw them and suggested that I pick one up.

Needless to say, the Leafs lost that night 4-0 to the Panthers.

Finally, I found this puck in of all places, an antique store in southern Ontario.


For the love of all things great and good in this world, if you're going to put a sticky back price tag on a puck, put the tag on the edge of the puck, not on the face.  You can see the backing of the tag on the red part of the Maple Leaf, frustrating to no end for sure.  I always did like the logo for the 2000 NHL all star game, and I wanna say I picked up the puck for around $5, which I didn't think was too bad.

One of the best banners I've seen on a blog belongs to Jim at Puttin' on the Foil.  Jim's banner is a collection of pucks from the WHA back in the 70's.  I loved most of those logos, there's even a puck with the old Michigan Stags logo, which has to be very tough to find in good condition.

I have a pretty good feeling with the NHL lockout all but a reality, I'm going to have to find something to do to get my hockey fix this year.  I'm about 90 minutes either way from the Erie Otters of the OHL (Canadian Major Junior), or the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL (lower level farm club of the Pittsburgh Penguins).  I'm sure that I'll be able to enhance my puck collections there.

Thanks for reading, Robert

1 comment: