Monday, September 24, 2012

Blue Jay Monday: Starting Nine minus 3 minus 1

Well, let's just say I was way overdue to post these cards from Max at the Starting Nine blog, and I was even slower noticing a feature of the trade package that may or may not have been intentional.

I've had these cards for a few days now, and have looked over them a few times trying to obtain a little inspiration for a post.

Along comes Blue Jay Monday, and I really don't have any idea what to write.  Then I count the cards.  9 in total.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  I'm going to give Max the benefit of the doubt and say that he placed  9 cards in the envelope on purpose. 

The Blue Jay portion of the envelope which this post is going to feature is 5 cards in total (9-3-1).  2 other posts will cover the 3 (insanity) and the 1 (11-12 OPC hockey) portion of the envelope. 

The first card reminded me that even though you may be a baseball player, you don't have license to put anything you want on your face....what in the world was this guy thinking? 

Curious to see if he's in a different uniform come spring

I'm hoping and praying that Adam Lind regains his confidence, and his hitting stroke.  Adding his bat to the middle of a lineup that features Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion could make this this trio one of the best in the game.

A&G Back...let's hope Adam comes back

Every time I see Brett Lawrie's name at the top of a line up card, I have to keep reminding myself that he was originally a 2nd baseman, not a 3rd baseman.  I just hope that he stays healthy, because his balls to the wall recklessness reminds me of another 3rd sacker the Jays had back in the early 90's, Kelly Gruber.  If Lawrie can stay healthy, and stay in Toronto, he just may be the Canadian star that the Jays have always craved.

Damn chrome cards...almost makes me want to run out and buy a blaster...need discipline!!

Now for two guys that the Jays traded away that they could really use.

When I heard that the Jays had traded Aaron Hill for Kelly Johnson last year, I thought it was a good deal, because it was a straight swap for 2 guys who probably were in need of a change of scenery.  While the defense has been decent, and he's had some pop this year, Kelly Johnson has not been the player that Hill has been for the D-backs.

I definitely missed the boat on the early Ginters....

Just a little tidbit, in the 2 games that Hill hit for the cycle this year, those 6 extra base hits represent 1/6 of the total XBH that Johnson has for the entire season.  I liked Aaron, a scrappy player who now that he's healthy represents probably the 2nd best offensive 2nd baseman in the majors, behind Robinson Cano.

Finally, this guy doesn't need an introduction:

Back in Black

How would this card have looked better?  Picture Roy in the Jays black road uniforms from the mid 00's, and I think that the could would have looked awesome.  None the less, this 2009 Topps black parallel is a great card of one of the best pitchers ever to don the Jays colors.  No doubt though that where he is now, things are funner (t)here

Max, thank you for the Blue Jays goodness....there's a couple of other posts saluting your cards coming...

Thanks for reading, Robert



2 comments:

  1. Some nice ones in there. I hope Yunel stays. I would love Yunel/Hech up the middle...but too many teams need a SS and Anthopoulous wants pitching, so I bet Yunel is indeed gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it just the scan, or are Lind's eyes completely shut on that mini?

    that Halladay does look sweet.

    ReplyDelete