Saturday, December 3, 2011

The purchase that sent me back to my roots

Good Saturday evening to you all, hope that your weekend is going well so far. 

I don't know if you've looked at all towards the right hand side bar over ...oh say the past week.

I put up another small box there, just below my profile, called "returning to my roots".  The reason that it is there now is also the reason behind this post.

I don't know if any of you look at a trading website called "the Bench", but I will peruse their boards every once in a while to see if I can find anything interesting to add to the serial insanity set.  Last weekend I found a post from a long time member who was having financial difficulties and needed to sell off a bunch of cards.

Needless to say, this fellow was flooded with both well wishers and collectors looking to enhance their collections on the cheap.  I was one of those.  I asked him if he could put up a list of Blue Jay cards that he had available, hoping to see if I can get a few on the cheap.  Suffice it to say, I could have had a field day with the list that he posted.   Parallels of many colors, jerseys, autos, jersey/autos, and so on.

I sent him a list of the cards I was interested in....he sent me back a price...$30

Just as if he knew about the blog, which I'm pretty sure he doesn't.   Needless to say the deal was done.

Take a look at the cards I picked up...

Some interesting inserts and oddball cards....



I'm finding that as I discover more of the older A&G insert sets, I can sympathize with what a lot of collectors have stated; this years set doesn't measure up to the ones released in years past.

Some serial numbered/parallel cards....



LOVE, the Fred Lewis card in the left middle.  A lot of Jays fans hated the return of the powder blues.  Not me, I was very sad to see them go.  The powder blues also flew in the path of the traditional baseball jersey, as these were pullovers, and not the standard button down tops.


























Now, on to the meat of the pickups....6 beautiful cards that have found a home...


Hated when the Jays let Frank go

























O Dog
A cornerstone they should be building around

Never did live up to the promise

The Goose

Beautiful signature














































































































































































I love them all, but it made me wonder if I am just getting too greedy too quick.  Of course, my guilt played a factor here. 

So it's time to step back to the original start of the blog.  $30 a week habit.  The habit part cannot take over anymore. 

I've found a lot of topics to write about without having to buy a bunch of cards every week to prove it. 

Back to the basics friends....I hope you'll stay with me none the less.

As always, thank you for reading....Robert

2 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about The Bench and have dealt with a couple of their regulars. All positive. But I just don't have time to get involved in other trading sites and collecting forums. The blogs keep me busy enough (still I see cards like this and it makes me reconsider).

    I've avoided the trap that I must feature "new cards" in order to blog. I wouldn't last very long if that was my philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hating powder blue is like hating a beautiful woman. It's ludicrous.

    Oh, and I sent you an e-mail with a scan attached this morning, if it didn't show up again, hit me up.

    ReplyDelete