Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Memories pt. 1

Good Tuesday evening to you all, hope that you have made it through the first part of the week. 

A while back, you may remember for my first contest I asked you fine readers to provide me with your favorite sports memory. 

I chose this one first, because for me, it may be one of the best sports stories of all time, period.

This moment was submitted by the Night Owl;  this is one of those memories that even on my death bed I will not have a problem remembering.  Back in the late 80's/early 90's, I HATED the A's, with a passion.  At that time, my Jays were in the thick of the AL race each year, and the A's were the dominant team in the league.  The deepest lineup, the best pitching staff, and they had Dennis Eckersley, the most dominant closer of that time.

I love these two quotes, by the best baseball game play by play men that the game may ever know.

"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened" - Vin Scully

"I don't believe, what I just saw" -  Jack Buck


Game 1, 1988 World Series, Oakland A's @ Los Angeles Dodgers


Take a look at the Video

Look at Gibson, barely able to walk to the plate.  The first swing he took, you could tell he was in unbelievable pain.  Gibson works the count to 3-2, and the rest is history.



This card says it all, 2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces #6. 

Night Owl, thank you for the inspiration.



















Thank you for reading, Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment