Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cool cards, #1 & # 2

Good Saturday evening/Sunday morning to you all, hope that you're having a great weekend so far.

Over the 4 months that I've been blogging and reading others blogs, I've developed an appreciation for card photos that I never really had over the many years that I've collected.

Don't get me wrong, I don't just flip cards, look at the stats and put them away in cardboard boxes or binders...I do look at the pictures and enjoy some of the action shots that I do find.

So I figured I would start an ongoing series, detailing "cool cards" that I find in my collection, and try to provide reasons why I like them so.

Here's #1:   Braydon Coburn, Philadelphia Flyers.   '11-12 Upper Deck Series 1, card # 64



Sometimes, a card just speaks for itself.  In this case, the hit that Coburn lays on Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes speaks volumes.

You can see it in the reaction on Skinner's face, and at first I thought Skinner was totally in the air, but on closer inspection, you can see his right skate on the ice taking some of the impact away.

It also appears that this hit went on well away from the play, because Scott Hartnell of the Flyers and Eric Staal of the Hurricanes appear to be headed in the opposite direction.

Still, another example of the great photography by Upper Deck.












Here's #2.  Michael Grabner, New York Islanders.  '11-12 Upper Deck Series 1, card # 81






























What's great about this card?  The fact that Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price is getting a snow shower is priceless enough for me.  But for those that are not as educated in hockey, there's a couple things about this photo that you should know.

One, giving a goalie a snow shower is considered disrespectful, and likely will get a response from the goalie's teammates.

Two, the timing of this photo is impeccable.  Considering that the ice shavings only remain in the air for a second or two at most, to get this quality of photo is damn amazing as far as I'm concerned. 

Hopefully, as time goes on, I'll be able to bring to you more cards like this, and you'll be able to agree with me when I say  "wow, that's cool"

Thanks for reading, Robert

Words in this post,  382.  Total for the month, 14635

No comments:

Post a Comment